Wondering how to know when it’s time to replace a mattress because it is worn out?
Knowing when to replace your mattress is very important in determining how well you sleep. A mattress that has been used for a long time will feel flat, lumpy and springs may even stick in your back. While there are a number of ways to tell if this mattress has seen better days, the biggest indicator will be how well you sleep. Outlined below are several things to watch for or to keep in mind when trying to determine if it is time to get a new mattress.
How Old Is the Mattress?
- It is a standard rule of thumb that if your mattress is older than ten years it is time to get rid of it. People will argue that there is nothing wrong with a mattress that is that old but getting rid of a ten year old mattress may simply be for hygienic purposes. A mattress that has been used for a long time has a great risk of having dust mites and germs. These factors alone are reason enough to get a new mattress.
Does Your Mattress Have Lumps and Bumps?
- Even the best mattresses have to replaced sometime due to the increase presence of lumps and bumps in the mattress. If you are person who likes to sleep on a bumpy surface then maybe this is one of the best mattresses for you. However, if you want a good night’s sleep then replacing this mattress with a new mattress that is soft and comfortable will give you the rest that you need.
Worn Out Mattresses and Back Pain
- One of the leading causes of back pain is a worn out mattress. If you find yourself waking up in the morning with pain all over your back then it may be time to replace it. Often people are not even aware of the fact that it is the mattress that is causing the pain. Over time our body changes and what was comfortable a few years ago may not be anymore now.
What Size Is Your Mattress?
- People who sleep alone may not need a large mattress but when you begin to sleep with a partner or someone else in the bed you may soon realize that a bigger bed is needed. Some of the best mattresses come in queen and king sizes at fairly affordable prices. If you have the room then upgrading may be in order.
- Some people find that they need to reduce the size of their bed. If you are moving into a smaller place you may be required to replace your mattress with something smaller. This happens when people have a king size bed and no longer have the room to fit them.
People may not realize how important having a good mattress is. You should look for one that you know will last you a long time and that is going to help you to get the best night’s sleep possible. This might mean that you have to spend a little extra money but in the long run it may save you more as you will have to replace your mattress less often.
Learn More About When to Replace a Mattress
The Better Sleep Council provides these helpful tips.
SLT Beds provides 10 tips on when to replace your mattress.